FAQs (NJ Board of Consumer Affairs)



  1. The regulations on supervision changed while I was under supervision. How does that affect my eligibility to become licensed?An applicant who began clinical social work experience under supervision prior to September 17, 2018 will be deemed to have completed two years of fulltime clinical social work if he or she has completed 1,920 hours of face-to-face client contact. Applicants who began accruing clinical social work experience after September 17, 2018 must complete 3,000 of supervision.
  2. Can weekly supervision be completed online?Yes. Pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:44G-8.1 (b)(1)(v) the supervisor may provide one hour of individual clinical supervision through synchronous video conferencing, which complies with the confidentiality requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), for no more than half of the total supervision hours.
  3. What do I do if I have more than one supervisor or more than one job?A supervision form must be completed by every supervisor you have, for each title you have held, and for each location where you have performed clinical services under supervision
  4. What do I do if I have received outside supervision?Outside supervision is permitted with the consent of your employer. The employer must submit a notarized letter on agency letterhead with an original signature indicating their consent. This should be sent to the Board office with your application for licensure.
  5. My NJ supervisor is no longer at my employment setting, what should I do?In the event that the applicant is unable to provide a supervisor's certification, the applicant shall submit to the Board a notarized affidavit explaining the reason(s) why the applicant is not able to obtain the supervisor's certification. Include dates of supervision, name and credentials of the clinical supervisor, proof of his/her eligibility to supervise, total number of direct face-to-face clinical client service hours obtained, number of weekly supervision hours, title of the position you held, and an official Human Resources job description
  6. How do I know if the work I am doing is considered clinical?"Clinical social work services" means social work services which may be performed only by an LCSW or an LSW under supervision pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:44G-8. Clinical social work services include, but are not limited to, the following:
    1. Clinical assessment, defined as the process of evaluation in which an LCSW or an LSW conducts a differential, individualized, and accurate identification of the psychosocial/behavioral problems existing in the life of the individual client, the family, or psychotherapy group for the purpose of establishing a plan to implement a course of psychotherapeutic counseling. A clinical social work assessment includes, but is not limited to, a mental status examination and a psychosocial history. The clinical social worker may utilize currently accepted diagnostic classifications including, but not limited to, the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, as amended and supplemented.
    2. Clinical consultation, defined as ongoing case discussion and evaluation focusing on, but not limited to, client centered advocacy provided as part of the psychotherapeutic process, clinical social work data, clinical goals, and treatment plans for the implementation of psychotherapeutic counseling with individuals, psychotherapy groups, and families. Clinical consultation may also include intervention with appropriate individuals and entities;
    3. Psychotherapeutic counseling, defined as ongoing interaction between a social worker and an individual, family, or psychotherapy group for the purpose of helping to resolve symptoms of mental disorder, psychosocial stress, relationship problems, or difficulties in coping with the social environment.
  7. What is an HR job description, why do I need it, and where do I get one?An official Human Resources job description accurately reflect the duties performed for the position you hold at your place of employment. It is required to be on agency letterhead and signed by an agency official. It is required to be submitted so that the Board can determine if the position you hold is appropriate for the license you are seeking.
  8. Am I required to complete supervision prior to taking my clinical exam?Yes. All supervision hours as stated in N.J.A.C. 13:44G-4.1 (a) must be completed prior to examination.
  9. How do I submit the results of my clinical exam to the Board?If you recently took the clinical exam in New Jersey, you will need to submit a copy of your score report with your application. If you have tested out-of-state, you will need to request that the official score report be sent to New Jersey by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). If you tested prior to September, 2011, please indicate on your application when you tested and if taken out-of-state, request an official score report from the ASWB.